2013年6月3日星期一

I met my husbandtobe in a tent

Airfield meeting

In 1944, I was a motortransport driver with the Women's Auxiliary Air Force, based near Stratford upon Avon. My job at the time was to drive the aircrew to and from the dispersal points, known as pans. On these occasions I drove a lefthanddrive 27passenger Dodge coach.

I met my husbandtobe in a tent, in the middle of the night, on an airfield. We were waiting for aircraft to return from their bombing raids. He was a member of the fire crew, who waited in case of a difficult landing and the great risk of fire. All the drivers used to call in at the RAF fire section for a hot drink and a warm by the brazier.

Insufficient coupons for a wedding dress

The next time there was a dance at the NAAFI (a social meeting place on all service stations) he was there and asked me to dance. From then on things progressed to an engagement, and we were soon planning our wedding.

Service personnel had very few clothing coupons compared to civilians, as we were supplied with uniforms etc. I didn't have enough coupons for a wedding dress, so I was very pleased to accept the offer of a loan of a wedding dress from my sister's friend.

The only alternative would have been to borrow a dress from the pool of wedding dresses donated for service women's use. Eleanor Roosevelt was instrumental in gathering wedding dresses from American women.

Furnishing my trousseau

A few days before the wedding, I was called in to the squadron leader's office. I had been told to bring my hat, so I knew it was an official visit.

I saluted the assembled officers. They told me they'd heard I was getting married and that they wanted to give me a present. With no further ado, they handed me a cardboard box. It felt empty, but when I opened it, it was full of clothing coupons.

Instead of issue uniform, officers received a clothing allowance in their pay along with the all important coupons  which they'd now presented to me. Having already arranged to borrow a wedding dress, I went on a spending spree and furnished my trousseau. That's one present I remember quite clearly.

These messages were added to this story by site members between June 2003 and January 2006. It is no longer possible to leave messages here. Find out more about the site contributors.

1 条评论: